Although you may be able to handle extra food and rich desserts with only a few pounds to show, your pet can’t. Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines) are common holiday maladies we see in pets. Pancreatitis and gastroenteritis, inflammation of the pancreas and intestinal tract, often develop in dogs that have eaten fatty foods or foods they are not accustomed too. Chocolate, especially baker’s chocolate (which is nine times more toxic than milk chocolate), is dangerous. Even in small amounts, chocolate can cause serious health problems if ingested by a dog. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea in addition to tremors, increased heart rate, heart failure, seizures, and in some cases, death.

Bones are a real hazard. They can cause choking and splinter causing intestinal perforations or obstructions of the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stuffing often contains onions, garlic and chives which all contain a chemical called N-propyl disulfide, which is extremely toxic to dogs. When ingested, these chemicals damage your pet’s red blood cells which can lead to severe anemia. When a pet becomes anemic, they are at high risk for organ damage, organ failure, and death

So use some caution when allowing your pet to share in the holiday cheer and have a healthy and safe Thanksgiving.